So what should you look for in a travel insurance policy?
Levels of cover vary widely, but the Consumers’ Association recommends that you should have:
- At least £1m of medical cover in Western Europe
- At least £2m in the USA and the rest of the world
- Watch out for travel insurance policies which limit the amount you can claim for any one item. Check that the total covers you for the valuable things you might be taking backpacking with you.
- Personal liability of at least £1m. This is really important as it covers you if you cause injury or damage to a third party.
- Compensation for flightts which may be cancelled. Also the costs of getting you home in an case of an emergency
- You should also have access to a 24-hour emergency line.
Check out all the travel insurance reviews...